When I am reading a Blue book I am learning to…
- Blend sounds together to read longer words (with some help)
- Use what I know about sounds to work out some trickier words
- Read words with – s, - ing and – ed endings
- Read words with more than one syllable such as carpet
- Discuss the meaning of words
- Self-correct when I am reading
- Use punctuation and pause at full stops
- Discuss links between the title and the events in the story
- Describe what is happening in the story on the basis of what is being said and done (e.g. I know a character is angry because she slams the door)
- Retell the beginning middle and end of a story and tell you when the main parts happen
You can help me by….
- Encouraging me to sound out each word carefully if I’m unsure
- If I am reading a longer word encourage me to split it up into smaller parts if I am struggling
- Remind me to pause at full stops
Asking me questions such as…
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Why did the character do….?
- What was the character doing?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Where did they?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?