French Intent Statement
At Westover Primary School, the core language taught in Key Stage Two is French. Our planning is based upon the VLE Language Hub scheme of work that covers all the components of the Programme of Study. It is the intention that all children in KS2 will access first quality teaching of French in order to adequately prepare and lay the foundations for secondary education. We wish to instil and foster pupil’s curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world beyond the United Kingdom opening up their knowledge experiences to other cultures.
Our aims in teaching a language:
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To encourage children’s confidence and creative skills.
- To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
- To encourage children to be aware that language has a structure and that the structure differs from one language to another.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- To lay the foundations for future language learning.