When I am reading a Gold book I am learning to…
- Read quietly or silently at a more rapid pace with automatic decoding helping my reading to become fluent
- Read aloud with intonation and expression without the need for sounding out and blending when they have been frequently encountered
- Read words containing a wider range of suffixes such as –ment, -ful and –ly
- Discuss how characters behave towards each other and give my opinion
- I can read ahead and use this to help self-correct
- Use my knowledge of sounds and words to read tricky words and explain their meaning
- Compare books noting similarities and differences
- Independently predict the content of a story using my wide knowledge of stories
- Locate information in a text to answer a specific question
You can help me by….
- Encourage me to use intonation and expression when reading
Asking me questions such as…
- Does this story remind you of any others? Why?
- Which characters do you like/dislike? Why?
- Why did the character do….?
- What was the character doing?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Where did they?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?
- What do you think will happen next? Where you correct or not? Why