When I am reading a Green book I am learning to…
Read fluently using the sounds that I know and am confident with
- Apply my knowledge of Phase 5 sounds although I am still learning these
- Use full stops, question marks and exclamations when I am reading
- Use different strategies to help me read unknown words
- Track the print with my eyes noticing when I have missed a line or a word
- Discuss the significance of the title and events
- Predict on the basis of what has been read so far
- Draw on what I already know or on background information
- Explain clearly what I have read
- Locate information in nonfiction books
You can help me by….
- Encouraging me to sound out each word carefully if I’m unsure
- Remind me that I can use the picture clues or re read the sentence if I am not sure on a word
- If there is a Phase 5 sound I have not yet come across, show me how to say it and encourage me to sound out
- If I am reading a longer word encourage me to split it up into smaller parts if I am struggling
- Remind me to pause at full stops and to think about how I need to change my voice if I am asking a question
Asking me questions such as…
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Why did the character do….?
- What was the character doing?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Where did they?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?