When I am reading an Orange book I am learning to…
- Sound out simple, unknown words on my own, without being prompted
- Use familiar syllables/chunks within words to help me read
- Read longer sentences and respond to the punctuation
- Predict what will happen next in a book that I can read independently
- Look at the layout of non-fiction books and understand how this helps
- Check information in a text to help comment on the content of a section of text
- Use appropriate terms when discussing different text types e.g. instructions
- Explain my understanding of a text
You can help me by….
- If there is a Phase 5 sound I have not yet come across, show me how to say it and encourage me to sound out
- Remind me to pause at full stops and to think about how I need to change my voice if I am asking a question
Asking me questions such as…
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Why did the character do….?
- What was the character doing?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Where did they?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?