When I am reading a Purple book I am learning to…
- Take note of punctuation and use it to keep track of longer sentences with some help
- Sound out unknown words automatically without lots of hesitation
- Work out tricky words on my own using different strategies
- Discuss the contents of a book and explain how items of information are connected
- Discuss and make clear the meanings of words that I have read
- I can read familiar texts with fluency and expression
- Discuss themes, characters and setting using words from the text
- Locate information in the text with some help
- Discuss my favourite words and sentences
- Recognise simple recurring language in stories and poetry
- Use different types of texts
You can help me by asking me questions such as…
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Why did the character do….?
- What was the character doing?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Which is your favourite word on this page?
- Can you find a word which tells you that….?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?
- What do you think will happen next?
- Where you correct or not? Why?