When I am reading a Turquoise book I am learning to…
- Read a text without having to rely on the pictures
- Sound out more difficult unknown words without being prompted
- Read longer sentences and respond correctly to the punctuation
- Predict what will happen next and explain how accurate I was
- Use punctuation and layout to read with a greater range of expression and control.
- Sustain my reading including reading longer paragraphs
- Tackle more unfamiliar and complex words using my knowledge of vocabulary, sounding out and syllables
You can help me by….
- If there is a Phase 5 sound I have not yet come across, show me how to say it and encourage me to sound out
Asking me questions such as…
- What do you think this story will be about?
- Why did the character do….?
- How do you think the character feels?
- Where did they?
- Can you retell the story in your own words?
- What does this word mean?
- What do you think will happen next?
- Were you correct or not? Why?